Sunday, July 4, 2010

Packing for Norway

July 5, 2010

blog_July_4_2010_1[2] The 4th of July came upon us fast this year. It was such a cold and nasty spring followed by a cool and windy start to the summer that when the calendar dropped to July the other day I was shocked. It will be winter before we know it!

While Granny had to work, I partook in some of the July 4th celebrations with friends Pat and June. We took in the Victor parade followed by pizza, microbrew beer and a game of darts at the Wildlife Brewery. Then we caught several of the live outdoor bands with the rest of the town of Victor at the Knotty Pine. The Knotty has a fantastic party every 4th of July and if you’re out this way for Independence Day be sure not to miss it.

blog_July_4_2010_2[1] Once the fun was over it was time to pack. I’ll be traveling again here soon. This time to Norway to meet up with my friend Vladi Trzebunia from Poland. Vladi used to be an Atlantic salmon guide in Norway and has been meaning to return to see his friends and catch salmon again. Last time we were together Vladi asked me if I’d like to join him on an adventure back to Norway. Naturally I wanted to go, but when you run a fly shop in Jackson Hole, summer is not the time to go on vacation and the trip never happened. This year is different. Since I left my fly shop job I have yet to let a travel chance slip by. And although I could certainly be working on my art, Norway with Vladi is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

blog_July_4_2010_3[1] Packing is never easy. Especially when you go to unfamiliar territory for a new specie. I’ve never been to Norway and although I’ve fished for Atlantic salmon, I’ve never caught one. I need to make it happen this time around. What is most difficult for me is choosing my fly lines. I do so many different types of fishing from chasing trout on my home waters to jungles of the Amazon to pike to saltwater etc. I have hundreds of lines for various applications. One great organizing tip that works for me is to mark my lines. I simply take a sharpie and code color both ends of my fly lines with the line weight. A thick line stands for five and each thin line equals one. The example I have shown is a 9-weight line.

blog_July_4_2010_5[1] If you frequently take lines on and off marking the lines is essential. Don’t wait until you mix up your arsenal. I also recommend that you save all your fly line boxes and plastic spools until you toss the line. That way when they are off the reel it’s even easier to identify them. Last, get yourself a Rio Cranky. This simple tool makes it easy to change and store your lines. You will also avoid twisting and adding unwanted memory to your lines. I’ll be packing throughout the week and if I have any other good tips I’ll be sure to share.

blog_July_4_2010_6[2] Jeff Currier Global Fly Fishing web site

No comments:

Post a Comment