Friday, March 25, 2011

Springtime, Crossbills, Cliff Boxes and Work in Boise

I have been locked down in my work for three weeks now. The closest I’ve been to fishing is packing for Madagascar. I’ve tied 50 or so Biminis, whipped loops on lines, organized flies, rods, reels and all the other goodies that go along for a tropical adventure. Beyond my packing though, I’ve been painting fish to stock my galleries and drawing on Cliff Fly Boxes. It seems like I draw on at least a Cliff Box a day. Its nuts. I can’t wait until I get to Madagascar and actually reach in to a Cliff Box to grab a fly!

In addition to all this I’ve been preparing for a
weekend of seminars in Boise, Idaho. If you are in the Boise area this weekend, be sure and stop in one of the local fly shops to sign up for the event. Pete Erickson, Phil Rowley and I will be teaching classes and giving seminars on every aspect of fly fishing both Saturday and Sunday. You could even catch us at the Boise Cabelas tonight as we will be there signing books and hanging out till closing.

The most excitement I’ve had in Victor lately has been watching the arrival of the migratory birds. As you’ve seen in my past postings, my birdfeeder hangs about 8 feet from my computer and I glance at them all day. Yesterday a pair of
red crossbills arrived. This species always shows up in late March and my guess is that by the time I get home from Boise on Monday afternoon I’ll have a flock of 50 rummaging around for seed – as long as Granny keeps the feeders full this weekend!

Unfortunately, our weather has turned on us again. Last week I was surprised that my old car in the yard was still buried in snow. Well, it hasn’t gotten any better. Other Wednesday’s sunshine for about 5 hours, it has snowed nearly every day and it just started dumping again. Say goodbye to the old car for another few weeks I guess. And I better tighten that seatbelt for my long drive to Boise!


No comments:

Post a Comment